Sunday, July 26, 2026

I'm Lovin' It

Time to resurrect the blog, because I got nostalgic.

Today I was driving James to meet my mom halfway, so he can stay another week with them in Iowa. Our halfway point is Knoxville, IL. It's just before Galesburg. For 17 years it's been a stopping point in our travels. We used to ALWAYS stop at the McDonalds, although as the boys have gotten older, we make more stops at the Love's gas station across the street.

But, that McDonalds brought back a lot of memories and I was thinking just how random it is. To the people who live in Knoxville, they just know that as their local McDonalds. To others it's a random stop after being on the road. To me, it holds memories.

It's where we'd stop sometimes to grab something to eat and take a bathroom break when I was newly married. It was about the point where I'd stop feeling sad about driving home from Iowa...or where I'd be excited because we only had a little over two hours to get to Mom and Dad's.

It's where I sat and nursed my babies, while I had a bite to eat.

It's where we were eating lunch when I suddenly remembered I left my car keys and house keys at my parent's house. (I was still married and Jacob was using his keys) 

It's where Daniel threw a royal three year old tantrum because I said it was time to go, so he climbed up on a table and started yelling and screaming. He and I were traveling alone. I hulked him out to the car and I refused to pull out of that parking lot until he apologized. I think we sat there a good 20 minutes before he did.

It's where the boys and I have sat and played "I Spy" while waiting for our food.

It's where Daniel accidentally spilled my entire caramel frappe in the most dramatic way possible. It hit the floor, the lid flew off, liquid went in every direction. It was on the floor, and chairs. It splattered all over the window. I went to get stuff to clean it up and the staff wouldn't let me. They insisted on cleaning it up, and while they were, another employee was making me a new drink on the house. I was apologizing profusely and thanking them all at the same time. I even mailed a Thank You card to the store in hopes their manager would reward them.

I was thinking about how many times through the years we've walked in there and imagined this "montage" of clips. Pregnant me, mommy to littles me, and now 40's me. 

Silly how a place as common as a McDonalds can trigger memories. 

But, I still think of all those years in Iowa where we'd meet our grandparents halfway. The Super 8 parking lot in Grinell. There was a gazebo and we'd have a picnic there every once in a while. Or if we were really lucky we'd get to go into town and get DQ.

I hope James has another great week. I love that he's gotten to travel so much this summer. Daniel is my homebody. James is ready to spread his wings and fly. And both are okay. 

Here's to more years of making random McDonald's memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment